Almost from very beginning when I started working on Xronos clock I had in mind to implement AutoDimming functionality. Concept is simple and used in smartphones, tablets, etc. In the dark room LEDs become dim, so it don’t bother you when you sleeping. In sunny conditions they become bright so it’s easier to see. Nothing new here 🙂 However it proved to be biggest challenge for me. Only about a week ago I discovered root cause of the issue and found solution. […]
I'm happy to announce that I was finally able to make 3 clocks and listed them in my newly opened Etsy store! Also I took some pictures of the Xronos Clock, notice the new look.
Today I made another small tweak to the Xronos code. When changing Alarm hours/minutes with each button press change would be written to EEPROM. This would unnecessary wear out EEPROM which is rated for 100,000 write cycles. So I made small change to only write settings for alarm hh:mm upon exit from menu system and only if hh:mm were changed. I'm also actively ordering parts to make a 15 piece batch of Xronos Clocks for sale. That's probably too many to see if anyone buys it, but I had to order parts in bulk to get lower price... Enclosures have been ordered from Pololu, and electronic parts from various vendors. There was a set back with TaydaElectronis. I ordered some important parts (such as temperature sensors and RTC chips) but got lost in the mail, so after a month they gave me refund and I placed another order. Hopefully I will receive that one and soon. Also I started working on new version of Xronos Clock this time on a bigger scale and for the wall mounting. It will have four 24x16 green LED displays, remote control and RF module to get temperature from outside. Already working on small enclosure for outside temperature sensor (based on moteino)
PCBs from iTead finally arrived! It took 12 business days from ordering to receiving them, not too bad! Strangely there was no text (silkscreen) on the back of the boards, which is not a big deal, but something I need to figure out. This is first time I got PCBs made from Gerber files, so it's possible I did something wrong. I immediately started assembling one to see if everything works, and it does! :) Took me about 40 minutes to solder everything, but I'm sure I can do it a lot faster (15 minutes maybe?). Removed old board from enclosure, plugged in new one, and bingo everything works!
Latest laser cut acrylics arrived and I finished assembling and painting. This is pretty much final design, so I took it on a basement photoshoot 🙂 Click “Read more” to see all the pictures and demo video! […]
I just finished huge redesign of the Xronos PCB. Something I wanted to do for a long time but was scared to do is addition of the modified “Wave Shield” on the same PCB. I went thru it’s schematic again and again until I understood most of the components and added them to my schematic. Main modification to the original “WaveShield” is that I replaced SD card with microSD, got rid of headphone jack and replaced fancy pot with simple trim-pot. […]